The Harrogate Tri Club junior section was established in 2017 and provides a fun and interactive training environment for juniors aged 8 to 16 years.
Our team of dedicated coaches are keen advocates of the British Triathlon Skills School approach, and focus on developing our juniors as young triathletes who are able to listen, question, reflect, challenge, make mistakes but most important have a great experience through triathlon.
We offer structured coaching throughout the course of the year and provide opportunities to learn and practice in a safe and well supported environment. Our sessions include pool swimming, functional strength and movement, open water swimming, biking, running, transitions and race preparation.
Please note that all junior triathletes must be able to swim 200m (8 lengths) front-crawl comfortably. The swim sessions are NOT swimming lessons.
Principles supporting the Junior training:
- Based on a 3-squad system, based on predominately on school year of study but also appropriate training groups
- Once all facilities are fully open there will be 3 different sessions running on a Thursday evening (swim, run, S&C) that the different squads rotate through on a 3-weekly cycle.
- Biking and Open Water Swimming will start in the summer months.
- We will maintain the positive social experiences that our members currently enjoy through conducting warm-ups as a full group and, time permitting, relays as a full group
- All sessions will be fun, engaging and progressive
- A recognition that different age groups need a different type of stimulation and training sessions should take this into account. Eg. off-site longer runs, structured hill training, off-road running etc using head-torches and high-viz vests
- A focus on the athletic and personal/social development of all junior athletes
- All sessions are safe and well-managed
The juniors training schedule:
Thursday (all year) :
- All indoor swim, bike, run & S&C sessions will start from Ashville Sports Centre, Harrogate
- 6.00pm to 7.00pm
- All members MUST be able to swim 200m confidently. (please note the swim sessions aren’t swimming lessons).
Monday (June to September) :
- Open Water Swimming @ Calmwater Bay, Knaresborough
- 6.00pm to 7.00pm
- Complementary to the Thursday timetable
- Focus on water confidence and open water swim techniques
Our junior section is currently over-subscribed. If you are interested in your child becoming a member please contact us via our contact form and we will add you to our waiting list.